Stephen L. Underwood, Attorney at Law, 1395 Union Road  West Seneca  NY 14224
Contact Us
Criminal Law
Family Law
Name Change
Personal Injury
Small Business
Vehicle & Traffic
Wills/ Estates
Hotdocs Forms
Legal Links
My Links
My Name Sucks

If this site helped you in any way please give a positive review on g+ below

Google+ Follow Underwood_Law on TwitterFacebook

Name Change Lawyer Buffalo New York

Stephen K. Underwood is a New York Name Change attorney serving Buffalo, Niagara Falls, West Seneca, Amherst, Depew, Clarence, Cheektowaga, Orchard Park, Angola, Lackawanna, Alden, East Aurora, Boston, Brant, Colden, Collins, Concord, Eden, Grand Island, Hamburg, Holland, Lancaster, Marilla, Newstead, North Collins, Sardina, Tonawanda, North Tonawanda, Blasdell, Kenmore, and Williamsville.

A personís name is important because it is an integral part of self image and ancestry. Any New Yorker, however, may assume a different name, so long as it is not done to avoid financial obligations or to perpetrate a fraud.

Adult Name Change

The process to change an adult's name in New York is relatively straightforward. First, a petition is filed with the Supreme Court requesting the name change. Second, if the court approves the change an Order will be issued to effect the change. Third, notice of the name change is published in a newspaper. Fourth, obtain a new birth certificate from vital records. Five, change your name on all official documents.

What if the name change is for a minor child?

It is the same procedure, however, when a parent wishes to change the name of a minor child (infant name change), the application for a name change must be brought by one or both of the minorís parents. If the minor has two living parents and one parent does not join in the application, the non-petitioner parent must be served with reasonable notice of the application. If the non-petitioning parent objects to the child's name change, a hearing will be held to determine whether the change of the child's name is in the best interest of the child.

How much does it cost?

Attorneys fee: $650.00 (adult) | $850.00 (child - so long as both parents agree)

Estimated Costs: $300.00 (index number, publication, certified copies)

Free Consultations

Please call (716)-656-7676 for a free phone counsultation or CONTACT US for a free web consultation. The first consultation is always free, and you will always speak directly to Stephen K. Underwood.

Stephen K. Underwood, Attorney at Law
1395 Union Road West Seneca, NY 14224
Phone: 716-656-7676 URL of Map